This webinar provides an introduction to the Pedestrian Facility Selection Tool and a demonstration on how to use it with a fully worked example. The tool is designed to help Australian and New Zealand practitioners select the most appropriate type of pedestrian crossing based on walkability, safety and economic outcomes.
• the research and analytical models used to inform the tool
• recent improvements to the functionality
• how to access and use the tool in an applied context.
The webinar was presented on 29 May 2018 by Dave Smith and Dr Stacy Rendall.
This webinar provides best practice recommendations for the development of Road Safety Infrastructure Programs (RSIPs) that align with the safe system approach.
• a best practice structure for the development and implementation of RSIPs
• guidance to demonstrate how program development and implementation can be improved to make greater fatal and serious casualty savings from road safety infrastructure investment
• case studies of current best and good practice
• recommendations towards the implementation of findings including benchmarking industry progress.
The webinar was presented on 15 May 2018 by Paul Durdin and Dave Smith.
This webinar, provides an overview of the new Austroads compendium of knowledge on Safe System treatments and real world experience in the practical application of solutions that can mitigate crash severity. It outlines information covered in a series of workshops on the translation of the Safe System approach, enabling attendees to consider the application of the theories onto their own road networks.
It covers the:
• new Austroads compendium on Safe System infrastructure relating to planning, designing and managing roads and roadsides
• origins of the Safe System and current implementation
• Safe System solutions that can be used to address key crash types
• tools that have been developed to help align infrastructure projects with Safe System outcomes.
The webinar was presented on 10 May 2018 by Associate Professor Jeremy Woolley and Dr Blair Turner.
This webinar outlines the findings of an Austroads geopolymer concrete project and a current update of the use, monitoring and specification of geopolymer concrete by VicRoads over the past nine years.
• geopolymer concrete, its constituents and how it is manufactured
• formulation and testing of numerous geopolymer recipes, and investigation of workability, strength development, mechanical behaviour, durability properties, abrasion resistance and ductility of reinforced geopolymer concrete
• the introduction of geopolymer concrete into VicRoads with several trial structural applications, general paving works and evaluation of performance.
The webinar was presented on 1 May 2018 by Dr Ahmad Shayan and Fred Andrews-Phaedonos.
This webinar outlines the contemporary barriers to local road access for high productivity freight vehicles, and some of the options available for local road managers when considering road access.
• how road network classification and mapping is progressing around the country
• most common barriers to access as reported by stakeholders
• several case studies demonstrating how others have overcome access barriers
• recommendations to improve local road access nationally.
The webinar was presented on 27 March 2018 by Rob Di Cristoforo.
This webinar provides an overview of the major changes to the design of heavy-duty flexible pavements, including the new:
• axle-strain approach central to the mechanistic-empirical design method
• definitions of design traffic
• characterisation of cemented material and asphalt.
The potential structural contribution of lime-stabilised subgrades for flexible pavements, and minor updates to concrete pavement jointing details are also discussed.
The webinar was presented on 9 March 2018 by Dr Michael Moffatt.
This webinar provides an overview of a project Austroads is undertaking to identify gaps in current practice for the performance characterisation of asphalt mixes. The ultimate aim is to develop a harmonised national performance-based asphalt specification framework that would take full advantage of the enhanced performance characteristics of current and emerging asphalt technologies. The webinar was presented on 27 February 2018 by Joe Grobler.
This webinar outlines the findings of an Austroads project on the modelling of high productivity vehicles in metropolitan areas. The webinar was presented by Dr Ian Espada on 13 February 2018.
This webinar outlines ways to improve safety and achieve Safe System outcomes on mixed use arterial roads. It was presented by Dr Blair Turner and Kenn Beer on 8 February 2018.
The webinar provides an overview of the key findings of an Austroads project on the weighing of oversized and overmass vehicle combinations using portable scales. It outlines the vehicles and weighing methods that were used in the field testing and discusses the process of turning the test data into a workable set of Mass Measurement Adjustments. The webinar was presented by Anthony Germanchev and Philip Roper on 12 December 2017.